Literary Events Grant of Georgia (LEGG) supports writers’ fees for literary events in underserved communities across the state. Literary events include readings, workshops, presentations, and performances.
We provide grants of $50-$250 for a literary event. We strongly encourage organizations to match our payments to writers, but this requirement may be waived if there are extenuating circumstances. To support as many literary events as possible, we generally grant no more than $500 to organizations during the course of our fiscal year (July 1-June 30).
The writer for whom LEGG is requested must be listed in the Georgia Writers Registry (if not registered, writers may apply to register through the Georgia Writers Association). Eligible writers include: poets and performance poets, fiction and creative nonfiction writers, and playwrights.
Organizations that may apply for grants include: colleges, cultural centers, museums, libraries, correctional facilities, hospitals, small presses, community and senior centers, places of worship, bookstores, galleries, and theaters. Nonprofit status is not required. Though we consider applications from organizations only, we encourage writers to initiate events and let organization know that they can apply on the writer’s behalf. Priority will be given to organizations that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Serve a culturally diverse audience
- Feature culturally diverse writers
- Present programs in rural or other under-served areas
- Have not previously received LEGG support
- Are able to match LEGG’s payment fee to the writer (not including in-kind contributions for meals, lodging, or travel)
- Are open to the public, with the exception of events taking place in institutions such as prisons or nursing homes
- Have a publicity plan and/or strong publicity samples from past events.
Who Is Ineligible?
Certain counties in Georgia—specifically Fulton, Cobb, and Dekalb counties—are excluded from LEGG funding as they receive funding from other organizations. The project director and employees of the sponsoring organization are not eligible for support.
HOW TO APPLY FOR FUNDING
- Complete a separate application for each writer to be presented. Fill out one application for an event that consists of multiple sessions (such as a poetry festival during which a writer reads several times or a multi-week workshop by a writer).
- Include the writer’s social security number and contact information, which we need to process payments.
- The application must be submitted at least eight weeks before the proposed event.
- First-time applicants must enclose publicity samples from past literary events with the application.
- Mail or fax (770-423-6524) completed applications for events to:
LEGG – Georgia Writers Association
440 Bartow Avenue
Kennesaw, GA 30144
RECEIPT OF LEGG FUNDING
- All requests are considered on an event-by-event basis.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- We approve grants on a rolling basis.
- Applications received fewer than eight weeks before the event will be declined.
- Sponsoring organizations and writers will be notified regarding the status of their application within two weeks of receipt.
- LEGG Event Application
- LEGG Sponsor Evaluation (to be completed and returned after the event)
- LEGG Writer’s Evaluation (to be completed and returned after the event)